People at work have been asking me this one question since my first day in the company:
“So, how do you find Singapore? Do you like it?”
For someone who came from a developing country, I’m easily pleased with what I have seen, and continue to see in this country. So whenever that question was asked at me, I always reply; “Yes, I really like staying here!” ..
To better elaborate the things I have been enjoying in this place, I made a list.
- Transportation. Singapore’s main modes of transportation is via the MRT and Bus. What I like about it is that MRT stations are so easy to navigate and Bus Routing System too is hassle-free. Buses and Trains are all in good and clean condition and are all organized. You wouldn’t really worry about getting lost in the City.
- Food. Since most people here came from different Nations from nearby countries, choices of cuisine comes from Indian, to Malay, to Chinese and what-have-you. It only takes me a few steps (or Bus Stops) to get to the nearest Hawker Center and grab whatever I am craving for.
- Shopping!!! Most Stores/Malls here offers promotions almost every month! There’s always that 30% Off or Buy 2 Take 1 Free stuffs and all the other alluring phrases they use to catch customers!
- People. Recently, a very offensive article by a Singaporean attacking Filipinos went viral online. It fueled up anger of some Filipinos to other locals but all was settled in the end. Luckily, my experience with locals (and some PRs) have been very rewarding as most of the people I work with are very helpful and doesn’t really give me a hard time. Some of them, I even treat as new found friends! Even Taxi Drivers are often chatty and very accommodating. I guess the one who wrote that article is one bad apple.
- Safety. I read from somewhere that Singapore is one of the safest countries in the world and I can attest to that! People can stay out at night without having to worry about pick-pockets or stuffs. Also, crimes in here are limited as fines and sanctions are really serious. I like how people here are disciplined and don’t do anything that can harm others.
- Recreations. I love that places for Recreations and Relaxation is just an hour-ride away from our place. Singapore is not that big country so you can actually explore half of it in one day. I like how you can go from Universal Studios to Sentosa Island and go to Marina Bay in around 1- 2 hours.Talk about making the most out of your day.
Those are just few of the many things I enjoy in here so far. Give me some more time, and the list will go on. 🙂